Absolutely new creation of Xiaomi Corporation. Xiaomi Mi Drone is a high-tech quadcopter whose arsenal allows you to realize high-quality amateur photo and video content from the air without being tied to the experience of owning a UAV. The first unofficial shipments of Mi Drone outside of China began in July 2016. Despite the initial “dampness” of the drone, which the developer refined from time to time, the model still received consumer recognition and is in demand at the moment.
- Ease of operation
- Brushless motors 2212 800kv
- 4K/1080p WiFi FPV Camera
- 3-axis high-sensitivity gimbal
- Autonomous flight modes
- Max. flight time 27 minutes
- Max. flight distance 1km/2km (for version: 1080p/4K)
- Positioning GPS/Glonass + 2 × ultrasonic and optical sensors
- Control drone location in real time
- No Fly Zone Control
- Intelligent low battery detection
- Control at 2.4GHz
- Sound recording during the flight
- Modular design
- Foldable landing legs
- Ready to fly out of the box
The manufacturer offers two versions of the quadcopter – 1080P and 4K. These specifications say that in addition to the quality of the picture, the flight range will also be different. The 1080P version will be able to move up to 1km, the 4K version up to 2km.
The kit will include:
- Quadcopter Xiaomi Mi Drone
- Battery 4S 15.2V 5100mAh 77.52Wh LiPo (with charge indicator)
- Control equipment with integrated smartphone holder
- 4K/1080P Wi-Fi 3-Axis Gimbal Camera
- 4 × rotors
- 4 × spare rotors
- 4 × screw protection
- Cable 220V for charger (requires an adapter for our sockets)
- MicroUSB cable (for pairing smartphone and transmitter)
- Tool + fasteners
- Instruction (Chinese)
GPS/Glonass + 2 × ultrasonic and optical sensors
Return home function:
Distance control function:
Max Range (1080p/4K):
Altitude hold mode:
AV signal transmission frequency:
Control equipment power supply:
3.7V 5000mAh 18.5Wh LiPo
Control equipment weight:
any smartphone on IOS/Android
Drone battery type:
4S 15.2V 5100mAh 77.52Wh LiPo
Max. flight time:
36km/h (in PRO mode)
Maximum lifting speed:
14km/h (in PRO mode)
Max lifting height (Beginner/PRO):
Autonomous flight modes:
Waypoint / around object / return home
BK 2212 800kv
LED on each drone beam
Drone weight without battery:
About the product
Quadcopter Xiaomi Mi Drone is a high-quality product, as indicated even by its packaging. All in Apple style. The drone is ready to fly out of the box without being tied to the experience of owning a drone. The main purpose of the drone is high-quality amateur photo and video shooting. Despite the fact that this is Xiaomi’s first drone, it should be noted that the “First Pancake” occupies a Premium niche in the price range “up to $ 500” and at least deserves the attention of the consumer.
The quadcopter is equipped with 2212 800kv brushless motors. The potential of the power plant is quite enough for a drone with an emphasis on photo / video shooting. To date, the motors of the 4K version have received a mechanism for quickly removing the main rotors, which cannot but rejoice, since the classic version is rather outdated.
On board Xiaomi Mi Drone, two camera options can be hung using a 3-axis mechanical gimbal: 1080P / 4K. Both received a sensor from Sony at 12MP. Thanks to the built-in microprocessor inside the camera, which calculates on-line compensating movements depending on the quadrocopter flight modes, the tandem exemplarily copes with its work. The output is high-quality both photo and video material. The 1080p camera records video at a maximum resolution of 1920×1080p at 60 frames per second. The 4K camera records video in resolution: 3840 × 2160p at 30 frames per second, or in quality: 1920 × 1080p at 60 frames per second. FPV image via Wi-Fi the camera broadcasts as 720p at a frequency of 5GHz.
To implement stabilized shooting from the ground, an additional accessory has become available, adapted for Mi Drone cameras, hand-held steadicam – Xiaomi FIMI X1BH.
Quadcopter Xiaomi Mi Drone is equipped with a lithium-polymer battery with impressive characteristics 4S 15.2V 5100mAh 77.52Wh LiPo. The quad electronics monitors the current battery charge online and, based on the data received, calculates the optimal flight time, taking into account the return. Thanks to such intelligent control, the drone will warn the pilot in time about the low battery, and if the warning is ignored, the drone will go into autonomous RTH mode and return to the take-off point and then land. In the test, the battery provided a flight time with a mixed style of piloting – 24 minutes (at the declared 27 minutes). Which is generally the norm for UAVs of this format.
The kit comes with control equipment that is classic for modern Smart drones. It is not overloaded with buttons, all designations are clear and did not raise questions about their purpose. Provides radio control at a frequency of 2.4GHz. The video stream is broadcast over Wi-Fi at a frequency of 5 GHz. Power is supplied from a built-in lithium-polymer battery 3.7V 5000mAh 18.5Wh. In practice, it provides reliable radio monitoring at a distance of more than 3 km.
The stock smartphone holder on the control equipment eliminates the possibility of installing a tablet in it, which would be useful for a drone with an emphasis on aerial photography.
– significantly limits the activity of the drone, in this mode the distance is 100 meters and the height of the rise is limited to 50 meters.
– reveals the maximum potential of the drone, the ceiling height increases to 500 meters (limited by electronics), the removal distance, depending on the configuration, is 1km / 2km (1080P / 4K).
Quadcopter Xiaomi Mi Drone currently has four autonomous flight modes:
- Flight on the planned route
- Flight with destination
- Circular flight around the specified point
- Autonomous RTH return (on loss of connection, insufficient battery charge and forced by the pilot)
If it becomes necessary to cancel its execution while in the return home mode, move the switch on the control equipment from the “RTH” position to the “Drone” position and the quad will hover waiting for the next commands.
“No Fly” control
Xiaomi Mi Drone autonomously monitors the boundaries of “No fly” zones. The drone freezes if it is in the border zone and informs the pilot about it on the display of the smartphone paired with the drone equipment. In practice, it was found that “No fly” zones can sometimes cover half the city, and why this is so, only Xiaomi developers know.
In the test, the quadrocopter proved to be exceptionally from the best side. The potential of the power plant is more than enough. In windy weather, it hangs as “tied”. The management is predictable, in general, there is nothing to complain about. Performs auto takeoff and landing flawlessly. The return to takeoff function (RTH – Return to Home) with automatic landing works flawlessly. Landing almost instead of taking off. The return is triggered automatically in case of loss of communication, with a low battery charge, and at the request of the pilot, by pressing a button on the control equipment.
Preparing for the first flight:
- After the batteries are charged and the drone is assembled in a flight state, the user needs to download the Mi Drone mobile application, the interface of which will be in English. Works on IOS and Android.
- The control equipment is activated first, then the drone. The power-on process for both devices is realized by double pressing the power button, the first is short, the second is long. Each device activation is accompanied by sound and light indication.
- Place the smartphone in the control equipment holder. Launch the downloaded “Mi Drone” mobile application and follow the visual instructions. The application will tell you about two ways to pair the remote control with a smartphone: Using the microUSB cable included in the kit, or via Wi-Fi. Priority remains with the cable.
- This is followed by a simple pre-flight calibration of the drone, accompanied by visual prompts from the mobile app. The process takes no more than 20 seconds.
Range of flight
As noted above, in an interference-free zone, the maximum FPV flight range of Mi Drone 1080P is 1km, Mi Drone 4K is 2km. In the test, the 1080P version was able to retire to a maximum distance of 500 meters. Then there is a gradual slowdown of the FPV picture, followed by loss of the video signal. The radio control in this case continues to function, and the further movement of the drone can continue to be tracked on the map (via the application). The FPV flight range of the 4K version fully corresponds to the data stated in the specification and even more. In practice, it provides an average removal of up to 3 km. Both versions showed the maximum height ceiling – 500 meters.
- Periodically does not correctly set the camera on the horizon.
- “No fly” zones can sometimes cover half of the city, and in order to fly, you need to ride out of town.
- Video stream transmission from the Wi-Fi camera 1080P is carried out no further than 500 meters. The control remains active, the drone obediently fulfills commands from the equipment, but without FPV.
- In point-to-point flight mode, there is no possibility to control the camera.
Due to the start of sales of the long-awaited version with a 4K camera, the 1080p version has become irrelevant. Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K is sold through all known Internet trading platforms at a price of $437-500. The average price of the Xiaomi FIMI X1BH steadicam is $60.
Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K $500
- Execution quality
- Dynamism / Handling
- BC motors
- 4K camera + 3-axis mechanical gimbal
- Autonomous qualities
- Positioning accuracy
- Modular design
- Portable properties (foldable legs)
- Inexpensive steadicam Xiaomi FIMI X1BH (for ground use of the drone camera) (purchased separately)
- Flying out of the box
- Periodically incorrectly sets the camera on the horizon
- Does not recognize and does not fly around obstacles
- The flight range of the 1080P version is far from the declared 1km
- You can’t control the camera in waypoint flight mode
The Xiaomi Mi Drone quadrocopter, after the developer eliminated the shortcomings known to all, related solely to the “dampness” of the product, received every chance of recognition. Most of the bugs identified by the first owners of Mi Drone were fixed programmatically almost immediately, through a software update. Today it is one of the best RTF solutions for those consumers who are looking for a drone for high-quality amateur aerial photography within $500. The manufacturer set the age limit to 18+.
Photo for Xiaomi Mi Drone quadcopter.
Mi Drone 4K vs DJI Mavic Mini vs Hubsan Zino.
Comparative video quality test Mi Drone 4K vs DJI Mavic Mini.
Video with Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K quadcopter.
Video with Xiaomi Mi Drone 1080P quadcopter.