Zerotech DOBBY is the first drone to be commercially available. Selfie quadcopter is a new type of drone that is compact and has a good camera. They are not equipped with a remote control, a smartphone is enough instead.
- Foldable design
- Compact dimensions
- Lightweight only 199 grams (with battery)
- Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) at 1080p
- Voice control
- Outdoor positioning GPS + GLONASS
- Positioning in the room with ultrasonic and optical sensors
- Camera 4k
- Changing vertical camera angle
- brushless motors
- Altitude Hold
- Tracks the movements of selected people and objects
- Scans and recognizes faces to track targets
The drone is packed in a small box, which raises suspicion that everything was put there. The design and quality in the style of Apple immediately rushes.
The Zerotech DOBBY case is made of matte, high quality plastic. In transport condition, the drone is very compact, the size of a modern smartphone. In flight condition, the frame size is 155 millimeters.
The arms of the motors are made of thick plastic, and are able to withstand heavy crashes.
At the bottom is a microUSB connector for downloading videos and photos from the built-in memory of the drone. The total amount of built-in memory is 16GB, of which only 9GB is allocated for photo and video material. Positioning sensors are also located below — ultrasonic and optical. They are used for indoor altitude hold and landing, as well as when there is no GPS / GLONASS signal.
The weight of Zerotech DOBBY with battery is only 199 grams, without 150 grams. This is good, the drone does not need to be registered.
The 13MP camera shoots video in two modes 4K/1080p at 30fps. In 4K shooting mode, electronic image stabilization does not work, this should be taken into account. Photo resolution — 4208 × 3120 pixels.
Even with stabilization on the video, jelly is noticeable. Probably because of the folding beams, plus the light weight of the drone affects. The camera’s field of view (FOV) is narrow in our opinion, only 75°.
The camera tilt angle is changed manually, along the vertical axis. The camera can be lowered up to 90 degrees down, or raised 22 degrees up, relative to the horizon.
At the time of writing the review, the version of the do.fun application is 1.1.1. After the last update, stabilization has improved noticeably and the Orbit function has become active.
- The first time you turn it on, you need to update the firmware of the drone and the flight controller. The update interface is clear and convenient, should not raise questions.
- The first thing to do after the update is to enable or disable electronic stabilization.
- With automatic takeoff and landing, you need to choose from where the drone will take off and where to land, on the palm of your hand or on the ground.
- To fly on Zerotech DOBBY street, you need to catch at least 8 satellites.
- After taking off, you will notice that the drone is very noisy for its size. You can’t spy on it.
- If you have done the calibration correctly, the GPS hover will be clear.
- Broadcast video on a smartphone of good quality. The transmission quality is selectable via the application (720p/VGA/320 × 240). The delay is proportional to the distance to the drone. The lower the resolution you set in the application, the lower the picture delay will be.
- Target tracking does not work perfectly, the drone may lose the target if the object being tracked has little contrast against the general background.
- mode for taking short video selfies (10c/30c/60c) with one touch. In this mode, as long as you hold your finger on the “Video Recording” icon, the drone will automatically start moving away from you at the previously selected angle (0°/22.5°/45°/67.5°/90°), as soon as you remove your finger from the icon, recording will stop and the aircraft will return to its original take-off location.
— panorama video shooting mode, in this case the drone slowly rotates around its axis.
- classic offline shooting mode. Allows you to focus the attention of the drone on any object and fly around it in a circle in accordance with the previously set settings.
- aka Follow me mode. Allows you to implement the drone following any object selected for shooting.
- unlike the previous mode, the pilot focuses the attention of the drone exclusively on the face of the object selected for shooting, shooting it in close-up and following it.
Return to home
- returns the drone to the take-off place with one touch.
— this mode activates drone flips in the air (flips).
Motors at Zerotech DOBBY brushless 1104, with folding rotors.
2‑cell LiPo battery with a capacity of 970 mAh, with a built-in charge indicator light. Charging takes about 40 minutes. It has a unique connection and shape, so you only have to buy the original. The original battery is expensive — $ 40. The flight time according to the manufacturer’s specification is 9 minutes, in practice no more than 6 minutes.
- Drone Zerotech DOBBY
- Battery 970mAh
- Charging module
- Power Supply
- Cable USB Type‑C
- microUSB adapter
- Chinese instruction
There is no remote control included as it is a selfie drone. For control in semi-automatic modes, a smartphone is enough, plus, it is easier to carry one gadget with you.
With cable USB Type‑C interfaces the power supply and the charging module in which the battery is installed. Connection to a PC/Laptop is via a separate MicroUSB port located on the drone itself using the same USB Type‑C cable, but using a MicroUSB adapter.
Zerotech DOBBY $230
- Compact and lightweight
- Quality build
- Video 1080p 30fps with stabilization
- Powerful Snapdragon Processor
- Tracking modes
- Indoor Altitude Hold with Camera and Sonora
- Firmware is constantly updated
- Does not require registration
- Small jelly on video despite digital stabilization
- No spare screws and protection for them
- Expensive batteries
- The app requires a modern smartphone
- In fact, the internal memory is not 16GB, but only 9GB
Compact and stable drone designed for shooting in selfie format. Thanks to the programmed functions and modes, it absolutely does not require piloting skills. The video quality is surprisingly good, but when shooting in stabilized 1080p mode. The photo mode is even better, comparable to an expensive mobile phone.
The flight time is actually only 6 minutes, why the manufacturer did not equip with an additional battery, as other brands did, is not entirely clear. You will have to buy it for 40 dollars. You will also have to buy spare rotors and protection for them. If DOBBY will be used by a girl, then she should be careful when performing a drone takeoff from the palm of her hand. Since powerful brushless motors can damage fingers with screws. Many girls complain about it!