About the new product
Californian company ModalAI has announced the smallest, smartest and safest autopilot built on the advanced Blue UAS Framework 2.0, weighing only 16 grams and power consumption less than 10 watts. VOXL 2 is the smallest single-board AI autopilot to date, equipped with a top-end Qualcomm QRB5165 processor, PX4 flight controller, AI-enhanced performance of up to 15+ TOPS (capable of firing more than 5 AI neural networks at a time) and 5G connectivity.
Key features of the autopilot announced by the developer of VOXL 2:
- Total board weight: 16 grams
- Board dimensions: 70 × 36 mm
- SWAP-optimized design
- Powered by Qualcomm AI Engine QRB5165: 8 cores up to 3.091GHz, 8GB LPDDR5 delivering up to 15+ TOPS performance with less than 10W power consumption
- Optional Mythic M1076 card delivers up to 25 TOPS of AI performance
- Built-in DSP flight controller with TDK ICM-42688 IMU and ICP-10111 barometer
- Support for various methods of perception of the surrounding world, including up to 7 MIPI imaging sensors, which can include up to three pairs of stereo sensors, sensors with max. resolution up to 8K30, PMD ToF sensors
- Additional Connectivity 5G, 4G/LTE, WiFi, Microhard
- Includes pre-integrated payloads including: EO/IR gimbal, FLIR Lepton, Boson
- Software support: PX4, ROS 1/2, Ubuntu 18.04, Open CV, MAVROS, MAVSDK
- Open source Linux kernel, cross compilers
- Docker build environment for heterogeneous computer vision processing and deep learning on CPU, GPU (OpenCL), and DSP (Hexagon SDK)
- Built-in LTE and 5G module to provide high-speed, low-latency connectivity to carrier or private networks
- Support for Microhard and Doodle Labs Helix
- Support for Long-range Wi-Fi Link Add-On
Scheme of work
VOXL 2 interaction scheme, coupled with optional system components from the developer:
Comparison table from the developer to quickly compare the potential of VOXL 2 with other previously released solutions from the company:
The developer offers the VOXL 2 autopilot in four trim levels:
- MDK-M0054-1-00 VOXL 2 Dev KitBoard Only (only includes the VOXL 2 autopilot board)
- MDK-M0054-1-01 VOXL 2 Dev Kit (includes VOXL 2 autopilot board and related components to connect)
- MDK-M0054-1-01-C3 VOXL 2 Dev Kit (includes VOXL 2 autopilot board + accessories for connection + 3 imaging sensors of various applications including associated cables; All sensors are calibrated and tested)
- MDK-M0054-1-01-C11 VOXL 2 Dev Kit (includes VOXL 2 autopilot board + accessories for connection + 6 imaging sensors of various applications, including associated cables; All sensors are calibrated and tested)
*Complete set MDK-M0054-1-01-C11 VOXL 2 Dev Kit.
- VOXL 2 (Quick Start User Manual)
- VOXL 2 (user manual)
- VOXL 2 (technical information)
- Press kit
Availability and price
The VOXL 2 autopilot is already available for purchase. The developer notes that he guarantees prompt delivery and those. support for all its customers around the world. Depending on the chosen configuration, the prices are arranged in the following order:
- MDK-M0054-1-00 VOXL 2 Dev Kit — $1,199
- MDK-M0054-1-01 VOXL 2 Dev Kit — $1,299
- MDK-M0054-1-01-C3 VOXL 2 Dev Kit – $1,499
- MDK-M0054-1-01-C11 VOXL 2 Dev Kit – $1,599
Based in San Diego, California, ModalAI split from Qualcomm® in 2018 and draws on more than five years of research and development experience in the drone and robot markets. ModalAI co-founder Chad Sweet was Qualcomm’s Lead Robotics R&D Engineer, which led to the development of a line of drones and robots for Qualcomm’s Chipset Division.
Today, ModalAI is dedicated to improving the autonomy of smaller, smarter and safer drones with SWAP-optimized Blue UAS Framework autopilots. ModalAI’s highly integrated AI-powered modules enable a variety of industries to use air and ground autonomous navigation systems interoperable with 4G and 5G networks, from home and business security to retail and government applications. ModalAI offers turnkey custom design services as well as plug-and-play computing platforms.
All the best! And safe flights!