About the product
To date, the Syma X8W quadrocopter from a well-known and respected by many amateurs manufacturer Syma Toys is very popular among fans of budget UAVs.
Note that the novelty has replaced the older X5SW model and has impressive dimensions and capabilities compared to its predecessor. The new Syma X8W quadcopter has become faster and more agile, easily executes programmed flips, is equipped with a Wi-Fi camera, through which this drone has a first-person flight.
The first thing that comes to mind when you see Syma X8W is that it is very similar to another popular model from DJI Innovations – Phantom 1(2). They do have some similarities, especially with regard to their size. However, the X8W is several times cheaper than the Phantom, which makes it more affordable for most beginner pilots.
- 0.3MP wifi camera
- 6 axis gyroscope
- Flips 360º
- Headless Mode
- Return to hardware function
- Control at 2.4GHz
- LED backlight
- Quadcopter Syma X8W
- Battery 7.4V 2000mAh LiPo 25C
- 2.4GHz control equipment (powered by 4 × AA 1.5V not included)
- 0.3MP wifi camera
- 4 × rotors
- 4 × spare rotors
- 4 × rotor guards
- 4 × landing legs
- Power supply to the memory
- smartphone holder
- Instruction (in English/Rus)
via Wi-Fi at 2.4GHz
6 axis gyroscope
0.3MP wifi camera
Number of channels:
Control equipment power supply:
4 × AA 1.5V
7.4V 2000mAh LiPo 25C
Flight range (with/without camera):
up to 20/200 meters
≈ 200 min
Quadcopter Syma X8W is equipped with collector motors. The developer does not specify information about performance. The potential is quite enough, it calmly pulls on board any of the GoPRO action cameras and any of its analogues. The downside, as always, is the fact that the motors do not have bearings, the shafts rotate in plastic bushings with torque transmission through the gear. As a result, a small resource of the motors themselves. On average, up to 30 – 40 hours without loss of power, then its gradual decrease.
The Syma X8W comes with a 0.3MP Wi-Fi camera. The shooting quality is below average, in fact the same camera is on the Syma X5SW quadrocopter. Due to the operation of the camera and equipment at the same frequency of 2.4GHz, a bug appeared in the test. In FPV mode, you will not be able to fly further than 20 meters, then the quad loses contact with the equipment. Without a camera, the removal distance increases to 200m. Turning off the camera increases the flight time by more than one minute.
After buying a drone, it is better to refuse the camera altogether, in return to buy something better, this will significantly prolong the positive emotions from owning a quadrocopter, since its main purpose is amateur photo / video shooting.
The flight from the first person for this model is implemented via Wi-Fi at a frequency of 2.4 GHz using a video transmitter working in tandem with the on-board camera. The output of the picture is carried out through the free mobile application “SYMA-FPV” (on IOS / Android). The broadcast quality leaves much to be desired, in general, due to the large video signal delay, the time of which increases in proportion to the distance of the quad from the mobile device, but this will be enough for the first acquaintance with FPV flight (provided that the piloting is within line of sight). The removal distance in the interference-free zone is no further than 30 meters.
The Syma X8W quadcopter is equipped with a 7.4V 2000mAh LiPo 25C lithium polymer battery. Provides a flight duration of no more than 10 minutes. Charging time is no more than 3 hours 20 minutes.
The Syma X8W quadcopter comes with a classic 4-channel remote control operating at a frequency of 2.4GHz. In an interference-free zone, it provides a distance of no further than 200 meters (without FPV). Powered by 4 × AA batteries (AA × 1.5V)
In the test, the Syma X8W quadcopter showed good dynamics in the absence of wind. The control is stable, the work of the 6-axis gyroscope affects. It performs flips without drawdowns, the Headless mode works without any complaints, beginners will appreciate it.
- To take advantage of the quad’s full performance potential, it’s important to calibrate the drone’s compass after every battery connection. This is due to the fact that Syma is equipped with the simplest electronics, which is not able to remember the pre-flight settings. When the power is turned off, all settings will be reset!
- It is necessary to carry out pre-flight calibration on an absolutely horizontal surface! (use the level in any of its performances)
- Plug in the quad power
- Put Syma on a horizontal surface
- Activate control equipment
- Bring both sticks to the lower right position and hold for about 2-3 seconds, paying attention to the drone’s backlight, it will start flashing. Wait for the backlight to change from blinking to solid. Calibration completed.
- If you notice that the quadcopter has stopped producing optimal thrust and its activity has become more sluggish (with a fully charged battery), then we advise you to simply buy new motors and the quad will begin to realize its full flight potential again. For better flight performance, amateurs install improved G-motors instead of stock C-motors. The upgrade will allow you to equip the drone with a 2-axis gimbal, which was an exception on stock motors.
- The main rotors on budget category quadcopters, as a rule, always require mandatory balancing in order to get rid of “jelly” and vibrations at the time of aerial photography.
The most frequently asked questions regarding the Syma X8W quadcopter and the 8-series in general.
– question; Oh is the answer.
Q. Is there FPV on Syma X8W?
Q. Can Syma X8W be equipped with B/C motors?
A. It is possible, but it is not economically feasible, because the amount that will have to be spent on modernization will be enough for a quite good budget drone on BC motors.
Q. What is the payload capacity of the Syma X8W stock quadcopter?
A. Up to 150 grams without significant loss in handling.
Q. Will cameras from Syma X8C/X8SC/X8SW fit?
to Syma X8W?
A. It will do.
Q. How to distinguish “G – motor” from “C – motor”?
A. Determined by the force of attraction of the magnets. G – the motors are attracted much stronger.
Q. How to enable Headless mode on Syma X8W?
A. Hold down the spending button until you hear a beep (left button on the front of the equipment).
Q. What is the difference between “Mode 1” and “Mode 2”?
A. Mode 1 – left stick “Gas”, right stick “Control”. Mode 2 – left stick “Control”, right stick “Gas”.
Q. How do I switch between “Mode 1” and “Mode 2”?
A. Hold the trimmer under the right stick in the right position and at the same time turn on the power of the remote control. The remote control will beep and the display will show “Mode 2”. In the same order to change to “Mode 1”.
Q. Does the battery indicator displayed on the remote control indicate the battery capacity of the quadcopter?
Oh no. Because the equipment works in one-way mode with the drone, therefore, it does not receive any incoming signals, just like the quad electronics do not transmit data from the drone to the equipment.
Q. Can the Syma X8W be retrofitted with a 2-axis or 3-axis gimbal?
A. No, because not enough traction stock motors. Amateurs solve the problem by replacing it with G – motors (they allow you to raise a 2-axis gimbal with a camera).
Q. How to transfer the equipment to the “long-range” mode of operation?
A. In stock, the equipment is usually set to “home mode” (flashing antenna receive symbol on the display of the equipment). In this mode, the removal distance is not large. To switch to “long-range” mode, you must:
- With the equipment turned off, raise and hold the trimmer (to the left of the right stick), at the same time turn the power button of the equipment to the “On” position.
- Then move the left stick up and down at the same time. The antenna reception indicator on the display of the equipment will change from flashing to permanently lit.
On various Internet trading platforms, the price for the Syma X8W quadrocopter
varies from $65-130.
Syma X8W from $65
- Execution quality
- LED lighting
- Shooting quality and video signal transmission of a stock camera
- Small resource of collector motors
- Doesn’t like windy weather
- Rotor balancing required
Quadcopter Syma X8W fully justifies the money spent, the only misunderstanding is the stock camera and motors due to the small resource (they can always be purchased separately). Otherwise, this is a well-executed product, the quad is perfect for the first experience with UAVs, reliable, ready to endure the mistakes of beginners. Provided that a good camera is retrofitted, it will give only positive emotions from ownership. Age limit 14+.
Video with quadrocopter Syma X8W.