Not so long ago, Cheerson pleased our domestic consumer with the release of budget quadcopters. Having begun its existence in 2011, the Chinese company quickly found its admirers. The price range, taking into account the modification of the quadrocopter, ranges from $30 to $200. The Cheerson range is available in three versions: CX-10, CX-20 and CX-30. The most popular model is the Cheerson CX-20 Auto Pathfinder quadcopter.
- brushless motors
- Controller Open Code
- GPS module
- Flight range up to 1 km
- Gimbal adapted for GoPro cameras
- Intelligent Orientation System (IOC)
- Autopilot function
- Flight modes
- Auto Return Instead of Takeoff and Landing (On Lost Communication/Low Battery)
- LED backlight
- Quadcopter Cheerson CX-20 Auto Pathfinder
- Battery 3S 11.1V 2700mAh 20–40C LiPo 30Wh (with XT60 connector)
- Control equipment CX20 (powered by four “AA” 1.5V, purchased separately)
- Camera gimbal (rubber gimbal dampeners serve as stabilization / adapted for GoPro cameras)
- Power supply for memory
- 4 × rotors
- 2 × landing legs
- Manual + CD (Digital Manual)
Return home function:
Number of channels:
Drone battery type:
3S 11.1V 2700mAh 20–40C LiPo 30Wh (with XT60 connector)
up to 15 min
Controlled flight distance:
up to 1km
6 axis gyroscope
Brushless type 2212 920KV/1200KV
Weight (complete with camera):
Quadcopter Cheerson CX-20 can be equipped with two BC motors 2212 920KV/1200KV. For a budget quadcopter, their potential is enough to the fullest.
The Cheerson CX-20 quadcopter includes three versions of the flight controller:
- open source (open source) allows the pilot to use the full potential of the ArduPilot controller and autopilot through the MissionPlanner software through open source.
- ZERO — developed on a 32-bit AMR STM32F103 RBT6 chip, there is no possibility of an add-on for the controller, it is not compatible with the MissionPlanner software and, accordingly, has limited autonomous flight capabilities.
- Big Fly Shark — developed on the basis of the STM32F103 chip, the finished version of the controller, works with its own software.
The open version of the controller — “Open Source” through the pre-installed software “MissionPlanner” will allow you to fine-tune the flight controller and significantly expand the capabilities of the quad, for example, the “Flight by points” mode becomes active.
In the test, the Cheerson CX-20 showed confident traction characteristic of budget drones on BC motors. It has a tangible power reserve, relatively stable, the operation of the electronics as a whole affects. Due to the large windage, the quad does not like to fly in windy weather, you should take this into account!
Quadcopter Cheerson CX-20 has 5 flight modes.
- Take off (or manual) — in this mode, the pilot is responsible for moving the drone (without reference to GPS), if you release the sticks, the drone will begin to descend.
- GPS hold — position holding mode. In this mode, if you release the sticks while flying, the drone will hover and hold its altitude autonomously (beginners will appreciate it). This mode is also relevant for FPV flights.
- Orientation — in this mode, the orientation of the drone in space is turned off, the mode is relevant for beginners (similar to the Headless mode).
- Altitude hold — the altitude hold mode, in contrast to the “GPS hold” mode, holds only the altitude (requires the participation of the pilot to control the displacement, for example, in the direction of the wind), relevant for filming.
- RTH (return to home) — the classic mode of returning to the takeoff point, activated from the toggle switch on the transmitter, returning the quad will carry out an automatic landing.
Thanks to the “Autopilot” function, in the event of a loss of communication between the aircraft and the transmitter, the CX-22 will automatically return to the take-off site and perform a soft landing, followed by turning off the motors.
It is worth considering the fact that the drone returns instead of taking off and performs an autonomous landing with an error (1.5 — 2 meters), otherwise the pilot risks crashing the quadcopter, for example, against a pole standing at the takeoff site, etc. It is also better to take off with absolutely flat surface, because this affects the accuracy of a future landing in RTH mode.
The Cheerson CX-20 quadcopter is equipped with a 3S 11.1V 2700mAh 20–40C LiPo 30Wh lithium polymer battery (with XT60 connector). In the test, it provided a continuous flight of about 15 minutes (without a camera) and about 10 minutes with a camera on board. Full charge time 60 minutes.
The battery compartment allows you to install a battery with a capacity of up to 4000mAh, which will increase the flight time by 3–5 minutes.
The Cheerson CX-20 quadrocopter is equipped with a good 4‑channel transmitter (control equipment) operating at a frequency of 2.4GHz. Provides a flight range of up to 1 km in field conditions. Power is supplied from 8 × AA (purchased separately).
On various Internet trading platforms, the price for the Cheerson CX-20 Pathfinder starts from $225.
Cheerson CX-20 $250
- GPS module
- Flight modes
- Auto return with landing (in case of loss of connection and a weak battery charge
- Range of flight
- Adapted to cameras like GoPro
- For correct flight, it requires fine tuning of the controller
- Dislikes flying in windy weather
- No camera included
The optimal ratio of price and quality of the product. The Cheerson CX-20 Auto Pathfinder quadcopter will be more appreciated by advanced pilots who like to experiment with flight controller settings. As the first UAV for filming, it comes up at the last moment. The main purpose of the quad is photo / video shooting (provided that it is equipped with a good camera coupled with a mechanical two or three axial suspension). Age limit 14+.
Photo with Cheerson CX-20 quadcopter.
Video with Cheerson CX-20 quadrocopter.