The rapidly developing unmanned industry initially predetermined the emergence of promising and interesting professions/hobbies. Already today, many successful companies that use UAVs in business are experiencing a shortage of UAV pilots/operators. And the need for these specialists is constantly growing. Despite the abundance of photo / video information on the global Internet, high-quality and interesting content is rare, but according to analysts, it is drones that will be able to significantly change the current situation, as they often allow you to shoot where a person cannot reach, using camera angles for implementation which in the near past required the use of expensive cinematographic equipment installed on civil aviation ships. Now a drone can do all this, and as practice shows, it is not at all necessary that it be expensive and difficult to use. This state of affairs leads many to the question: “Is it possible today to make money on a drone from scratch?”.
The barrier to entry into the world of commercial drones is extremely low. You can buy a drone capable of taking quality photo/video footage for less than $1,000. But, do not assume that this will be an easy path to a highly paid profession. The reality is that aero content that someone wants to pay you for is a skill in itself. In other words, most of the people who fly and shoot on order are professional photographers or videographers.
Some use drones in addition to existing tools to perform scientific, construction or other industrial tasks. And they are also highly qualified in various fields of activity. The training course for these pilots covers the areas of natural resource management, surveying, military or police service, and more. The level of such skills is far from the level of training of an ordinary user. Typically, when a consulting firm or a large industrial company needs a drone, they either look for a hired employee suitable for the job in their field of activity, or pay for the training and certification of their staff, which is most often the case.
- If you think that buying a drone will immediately solve your financial problems, you are deeply mistaken. Do not believe those who claim otherwise.
- No skills in aerial photography — no earnings.
- In most cases, many potential customers will prefer to purchase the necessary material from large trusted companies.
- Such an income tool will be interesting for those who already have a business that needs aerial photography.
- Do not rely on the industry as the only source of income. Apparently, in the next few years we will be able to see operating autonomous UAVs that will be able to receive the necessary photo / video material on demand without the participation of an external pilot.
Where to begin?
If you have no experience, but you are determined to make money with a drone and want to succeed, you should start small:
- There is a drone for each target. Choose the most suitable model based on the direction of the services offered (photo / video shooting, advertising, sports action shooting, cartography, inspection, monitoring, etc.). Various ratings and forums will help you make the right choice.
- Learn to fly correctly and safely. The better you do it, the more likely you are to be noticed.
- Learn how to edit photos/videos. The skill of working in editors (Adobe Photoshop Lightroom/Adobe Premiere Pro and other analogues) is required. YouTube is here to help.
- Feel free to seek advice from professionals through various communities, 99% of experts are always ready to help you.
- Use all kinds of photo / video hosting to publish your work in order to express yourself as quickly as possible.