About the developer
Pyka LLC is an American company based in Palo Alto, California dedicated to the development and production of Pyka autonomous electric aircraft that make the application of agrochemicals safe, easy, fast, accurate and economical — even in difficult terrain.
It is known that Pyka LLC raised $11 million from such giants as Prime Movers Lab, Y Combinator, Greycroft, Daa Collective and Bold Capital Partners for the development of the startup.
Below are the main features of the Pyka drone presented by the developer.
- Load capacity 204 kg
- 46 m is enough for takeoff and landing
- A reliable power plant consists of three BLDC motors controlled by a controller of our own design
- Power plant power 20 kW
- Cruise speed 145 km/h
- Equipped from the ground up with a spray system built around a patented high speed centrifugal pump that delivers chemicals to a pair of lightweight carbon fiber spray bars.
- The spray system is controlled by a variable speed, software-controlled application that delivers chemicals exactly where they are needed.
- Application rate (including refueling, rotations and battery replacement): 34 ha/hour at a water consumption of 18.9 l/ha; 55 ha/hour at a water consumption of 7.6 l/ha
- The autonomous flight system ensures accurate and safe operation, allowing the aircraft not only to fly accurately at ultra-low altitudes, but also to avoid obstacles encountered.
- Multi-level control coupled with automatic failover provide highly reliable autonomous control
- Separate high-level processors, coupled with a highly reliable FPGA (FPGA or Field-Programmable Gate Array), guarantee the versatility and safety of the flight computer from Pyka LLC. This architecture allows the computer to communicate with more than 30 actuators and sensors simultaneously while executing complex path planning algorithms.
- Power is supplied by redundant, replaceable lithium polymer batteries developed by Pyka LLC. Each unit combines best-in-class power and energy density with a fail-safe thermal management system.
- For accurate autonomous flight, the operator just needs to enter the main parameters of the mission, and the patented software will handle the rest (Taxi, Takeoff, Flight, Landing)
- Thanks to the latest 3D aerial mapping technology and optimized flight path planning, the aircraft always knows where obstacles are and how to avoid them.
- Can work in both wide and small areas
- Able to follow a predetermined trajectory to within one meter, both horizontally and vertically, even in gusty conditions
- Thanks to built-in sensors, it sprays in precise trajectories, with constant wind correction (to minimize drift). This uses fewer chemicals per hectare and drastically reduces the risk of accidental spills.
- Consumes less energy than electric vehicles and has very few moving parts, giving them versatility in the air at a competitive price
Autonomous aircraft Pyka is in the launch phase. To clarify information about cooperation and acquisition, the developer asks to contact them using one of several methods available on the official website.
Video from the developer using the Pyka autonomous aircraft.