The result of the interaction between the developer and the consumer. Based on the criticism of the latter, the popular Syma X5UW received a number of significant improvements, thanks to which the model became a truly top product in the niche of budget UAVs, and the letter “D” appeared in the modification index.
- Impact-resistant high-quality materials
- 1MP 720P Wi-Fi camera with remote tilt angle
- Control: Smartphone/Remote control/Smartphone+Remote control (via “Syma Fly” IOS/Android mobile application)
- Flight Plan feature
- FPV flight
- Positioning via optical sensor
- Altitude hold (barometer)
- Auto takeoff/landing
- 6 axis gyroscope
- Headless Mode
- Gravity Sensor mode (smartphone tilt control)
- Automatic landing in case of insufficient battery charge
- Collector motors
- Motor blocking control
- Programmed 360° flips
- Max. flight time 7 minutes
- Max. removal distance 70 meters
- Weight (with battery) – 132g
- Quadcopter Syma X5UW-D
- Battery 3.7V 500mAh LiPo
- 1MP 720P WiFi video camera
- 4-channel control equipment 2.4GHz
- 4 × rotors (2CW/2CCW)
- 4 × spare rotors (2CW/2CCW)
- Rotor protection
- smartphone holder
- USB cable (for drone battery charging)
about 132 gr
2.4 GHz over Wi-Fi
Video stream resolution:
Supported memory cards:
microSD class 10, up to 32GB
Remote control power:
4 × AA
6 axis gyroscope
3.7V 500mAh LiPo
2h 10 min
Max. flight time:
Max. range of flight:
Equipped with collector motors. Torque transmission is implemented through a closed type gearbox. The developer does not disclose performance information. They work in tandem with wear-resistant main rotors, which are now based on nylon. The potential is enough to realize a stable and controlled flight even in windy weather.
- X5UW-D powerplant regulators with automatic jamming and overheating protection (motors stop if something interferes with their operation).
- The user has 2 drone activity modes (50/100%).
On board is a 1MP Wi-Fi HD camera whose lens received eight optical elements and a remotely adjustable tilt angle. Enables video recording in 1280 × 720p at 15 fps (for X5UW: 640 × 480 at 15 fps). As a result of the upgrade, the overall quality of shooting has improved markedly and is now quite suitable for the first acquaintance with aerial photography.
Photo / video recording can be carried out both on a microSD card pre-installed in the camera, and on smartphone resources, where the latter method is the most energy-consuming. It was also noted that direct recording negatively affects the quality of the video stream.
The first-person flight for the X5UW-D quadrocopter is implemented via Wi-Fi, using a video transmitter operating at a frequency of 2.4GHz. Real-time image output is carried out through the Syma Fly mobile application (for IOS/Android). In practice, it was noted that the quality of the broadcast improved, but the delay, growing as the drone moved away, remained the key disadvantage of the model. For a comfortable FPV flight, an interference-free zone is required, and the removal distance should not exceed 10 – 15 meters. Video stream resolution 720p.
The power supply remained unchanged – 1S 7.4V 500mAh LiPo, the principle of replacing the battery remained unchanged, no wires or plugs. Specification max. flight duration – 7 minutes. In practice, the maximum FPV flight time with recording has grown, now it is 6 minutes 17 seconds (for Syma X5UW – 5 minutes). Charging can be carried out both from the bundled USB charger and from the docking station for simultaneous charging of three batteries (purchased separately). Charging time from USB cable – 2 hours 10 minutes.
Modified Syma X5UW-D no longer falls when the battery is low, but performs an automatic landing.
The kit includes the same 4-channel control equipment operating at a frequency of 2.4 GHz. To implement remote camera angle change (0°/-15°/-45°/-90°), two additional buttons have been added. Thanks to the holder included in the kit, for the purpose of comfortable piloting the drone in first-person mode, it can be combined with a smartphone. According to the specification, the remote control provides a distance of removal no further than 70 meters. In practice, in a metropolis, this distance is halved. Powered by 4 × AA (sold separately).
Syma X5UW management is also possible:
- Smartphone (via downloaded Syma Fly app)
- Remote control (in this case, not all functions will be active)
Positioning and Altitude Hold
Business card Syma X5UW-D is an optical sensor located at the bottom of the drone to the left of the camera, which ensures precise positioning of the drone. The barometer is still used to hold altitude. In practice, such a tandem provided the device with exponential stability and accuracy in holding a position, which beginners will not undoubtedly appreciate.
The positioning process using an optical sensor consists in sequentially obtaining ordered images and calculating the displacement using the optical flow method.
Flight Plan function
Thanks to the “Flight Plan” function, the quadcopter can fly along the drawn route.
To execute the function, you need:
- Launch the quadcopter in Altitude Hold mode
- Activate the “Flight Plan” function. A map with a zoom slider will be displayed on the gadget’s display (the application must have access to the location of the smartphone to display the map).
- Simultaneously with the map, the left side of the screen will be occupied by one digital stick responsible for controlling the drone (Left/Right/Forward/Back).
- Based on the map of the area, by touching a finger on the smartphone screen, a flight path is drawn (the path is drawn with one touch). After specifying the trajectory, a point will appear, which will independently start moving strictly along the drawn line. The drone will duplicate the movements of this point.
- As soon as the quadcopter starts flying along the route, the video image from the drone’s camera will be displayed in real time.
- At the end of the flight, the X5UW-D will hover in position hold mode, waiting for the next commands.
If the quadcopter pulls sharply to the side during takeoff, you need to calibrate the compass. Pre-flight calibration is recommended on a horizontal surface.
- Turn on the drone
- Install the quadcopter on a horizontal surface
- Turn on the remote control
- Bring both sticks to the lower right position and hold for about 2-3 seconds, paying attention to the drone’s backlight, it will start flashing.
- Wait for the backlight to change from blinking to solid. Calibration completed.
- If necessary, achieve accurate position holding by adjusting the offset (trimming) from the control panel.
Syma X5UW-D is sold by the developer through all known trading platforms at an average price of $60.
Syma X5UW-D $60
- Wear-resistant materials
- flight properties
- Touch Positioning/Altitude Hold
- Flight along the drawn route
- HD camera (image quality)
- Headless Mode
- Motor blocking control (safe)
- Charge control (auto-landing in case of insufficient battery charge)
- The correct operation of the “Flight along a given route” function directly depends on the quality of the Wi-Fi connection
- Video stream quality (high latency when moving further than 15 meters)
- Noisy (gearboxes)
One of the best offers in the UAV niche. The revised model turned out to be more indicative than its predecessor and is now ideal for getting the first experience in managing and adapting to piloting in first-person mode. Separately, you can highlight the control of blocking motors, as well as a soft landing with a low battery charge, extra security will not hurt beginners. Age limit 12+.
Video with quadrocopter Syma X5UW-D.