MJX Bugs 5W is one of the top drones of the popular BUGS series. The release of the model took place in June 2018. Like the whole series, it is built on a brushless power plant tuned exponentially from the factory and prepared for first-person flight. High quality, functionality, ease of use, compliance with the declared capabilities and quite affordable price, predetermined the future audience of beginner maximalists who want to get everything at once and with maximum return. By tradition, let’s start with the key features of the drone.
- Frame size 250mm
- Built-in 6-axis gyroscope
- GPS positioning + barometric sensor
- MT1806 1500KV brushless motors in tandem with 4 × ESC with motor auto brake function when locked
- 8 MP FHD Wi-Fi FPV Camera
- Control at 2.4GHz (4 channels)
- FPV flight over Wi-Fi at 5GHz
- Output FPV broadcast to a smartphone (IOS / Android) through the application “Bugs Go”
- Max. FPV removal distance 300m
- Max. flight time 15 min
- Max. horizontal flight speed 60 km/h
- Position hold function
- Auto takeoff/landing function from the button on the remote control
- 3 × flight modes
- 4 × automatic flight and shooting modes
- 3 × “Return to Home (RTH)” performance modes
- Acoustic low battery warning system
- Comes assembled (enough to charge and install the power)
- LED backlight
- Weight with battery: 397g
- Quadcopter MJX Bugs 5W (with installed propellers)
- 8MP FHD WiFi camera
- Drone battery 2S (7.4V) 1800mAh 25C LiPo
- Remote control (powered by 4 × AA; sold separately)
- smartphone holder
- 4 × spare propellers (2CW/2CCW)
- Balanced USB charger
- Power USB cable for memory (Micro USB – USB)
- Adapter with a connector for pairing the drone’s battery with a charger
- Propeller removal tool
- Spare set of silicone sleeves
- User manual (in English)
- Branded stickers “Bugs” series
6 axis gyroscope
2.4 GHz Analog.
Video link quality:
brushless 1806 1500KV
4 × ESC with the function of auto-braking of motors when blocked
2S 7.4V 1800mAh 25C LiPo
≈ 180 min
Max. flight time:
Max. flight altitude:
Max. FPV flight range:
Max. flight speed:
Auto flight and shooting modes:
Follow me/Point of Interest/Waypoint Flying
Max. flying radius:
Remote control power:
4 × AA 1.5V (sold separately
Drone weight (with battery):
MJX C5021 FHD WiFi
1/3.06 inch CMOS
Compatible memory cards:
microSD class 10; capacity up to 32GB
The Bugs 5W quadcopter is equipped with 1806 1500KV brushless motors working in tandem with four separate speed controllers that support the auto-brake function of the motors when locked, which contributes to safer operation. In practice, the power plant runs smoothly, there is enough power in abundance and allows the drone to confidently reach a horizontal flight speed of up to 60 km / h.
As the developer assures, the two-bladed propellers of the drone are made taking into account aerodynamics and have an indicative balance, which allows the quadrocopter to easily perform the specified functions and receive clear images.
On board is an 8MP FHD Wi-Fi camera (MJX C5021) with a remotely adjustable tilt angle, built on a 1/3.06 inch CMOS-matrix coupled with a wide-angle lens consisting of 7 optical elements. Provides video recording in resolution: 1920 × 1080p at 30 fps; Photo: 8Mp. The camera is removable, suspended by means of an axleless suspension on dampers. In practice, the quality of shooting corresponds to the declared, the color reproduction of photos and videos is good. The balanced operation of the power plant deserves special respect, as evidenced by the complete absence of jelly and vibrations in the frame, despite the fact that only rubber dampers separate the gimbal from the drone. All footage is stored on a microSD memory card (sold separately), which is pre-installed in the camera’s built-in slot located on the back.
First-person flight for Bugs 5W implemented via Wi-Fi at a frequency of 5GHz. The video stream is broadcast in real time with optimal latency to a smartphone (IOS/Android) via the Bugs Go mobile app. The quality of the video stream is 720p. Declared max. video transmission distance is 300 meters. In practice, in an interference-free zone, this distance was 200-260 meters, which again corresponds to the developer’s specification.
The interface of the mobile application “Bugs Go” in FPV mode.
It should be understood that the Bugs 5W FPV system is built on the simplest technologies and is designed exclusively for the initial acquaintance with first-person flight. Therefore, removal beyond the line of sight will be carried out at your own peril and risk.
Three flight modes are available to the user, which can be changed using 2-position switches located on the control equipment (remote control) under each of the sticks / joysticks. The switch under the left stick is responsible for changing the “Gesture/GPS” modes (position “A” – Gesture; position “B” – GPS); The switch under the right stick activates the “Headless” mode (position “A” – Headless off; position “B” – Headless on).
— in this mode, the operation of the GPS module is excluded. Position Hold becomes inactive, but the barometer is active, which provides altitude hold. If the control sticks are released during the flight, the drone will hover, but will be prone to drift (especially in windy weather), which in turn will require direct participation from the pilot. Recommended for users who already have experience in flying a drone without using GPS.
– provides the drone with accurate position retention, even under the influence of external factors. Recommended for beginners.
– in the process of learning to fly, it allows a novice user not to worry about where the quadcopter is in front and where is the back.
Four automatic flight and shooting modes are available:
Follow me (Follow me)
– when the mode is activated, the drone focuses its attention on the smartphone paired with it. The mode allows you to automatically track the movement of the user and keep him in the center of the frame, shooting from a certain angle and at a given distance. Activation of the mode through the mobile application.
Point of Interest
— set a point of interest (building, object, position, etc.) around which the drone will make a circular flight at a given distance. By default, this distance is set to 10 meters. To change: “Setting” → “Flight Radius”. Activation of the mode through the mobile application.
– this mode allows you to focus on the composition while the MJX B5W flies along the route set on the display of the paired smartphone. Activation of the mode through the mobile application.
Return to Home (RTH/Return to Home)
– provides automatic return of the drone to the take-off point: with a button on the remote control, automatically when communication with the remote control is lost, when the battery is low. Activation of the mode is possible both from the control equipment and through a mobile application.
The quality of operation of each of the auto modes noticeably loses in precision accuracy and smoothness to premium UAV modes and, accordingly, is relevant only for the first acquaintance.
The RTH/Return to Home mode for the Bugs 5W has received three versions:
Available if the satellite signal is stable (more than 7 satellites) and if the home point was recorded by the system during takeoff. Pressing the RTH button will return the drone to its takeoff point. During the execution of this mode, the user can correct the flight from the control equipment. To cancel the execution of the mode, just press the RTH button again.
Fail safe return:
Available if the satellite signal is stable (more than 7 satellites) and if the home point was recorded by the system during takeoff. The mode is automatically activated every time the aircraft loses communication with the control equipment for more than 6 seconds. You can cancel the execution of the mode immediately after the connection is restored by pressing the RTH button.
Low voltage RTH:
Activates when the drone’s battery is low. The lights on the rear arms of the aircraft flash slowly red, the LCD of the remote displays the “RX” icon, and a quick beep sounds:
- If the B5W is over 100 meters high or over 300 meters away, the aircraft will automatically return to its take-off point.
- If the B5W is more than 15 meters high or more than 15 meters away, the aircraft will automatically return to its take-off point.
- If the B5W is less than 15 meters high or less than 15 meters away, the aircraft will automatically land.
The drone is powered by two canned (2S / 7.4V) lithium-polymer (LiPo) batteries with a capacity of 1800mAh, with a discharge current of 25C. The battery is placed in a one-piece case, the role of the supply wires is played by the built-in connector. This approach provided additional protection for the power source, as well as the ability to quickly change the battery (without wires: inserted – removed). All for the sake of simplicity! Provides max. flight time – 15 minutes. In practice, this time was 11-12 minutes. The battery is charged with the included USB charger. Charging time is about three hours.
We attribute the lack of a power off button to the minuses of the MJX Bugs 5W. Turning the quadrocopter on and off is done by installing and removing the battery. Do not leave the battery in the drone after the end of flights!
The drone is controlled by the included remote control, which can be found in the configurations of predecessor models. Convenient, 4-channel equipment, operates at an analog frequency of 2.4GHz. For MJX Bugs 5W comes with a smartphone holder. It has a built-in LCD-display which displays such information as: signal level; number of satellites; altitude/distance; indication of RTH/Headless modes; Photo/Video; remote control/drone battery charge; Remote control mode (Mode 1/2). Provides max. removal distance – 500 meters. Runs on four AA batteries.
Assignment of buttons and switches
The folding antennas on the control equipment are decorative. The antenna itself is placed inside the case, and in the future it will be better to bring it outside. Such an upgrade will significantly improve the quality of communication.
In order to carry out the first flight, after removing from the box and charging the batteries, you must do the following:
Binding the quadcopter to the equipment
The procedure is carried out once.
While holding down the “Unlock motors” button on the remote control (indicated by a red symbol in the form of a “lock”), turn on the remote control, it will emit two beeps, the indicator will start flashing. The remote control is ready to pair with the drone.
Turn on the quadcopter (by installing the battery in the drone), the drone will emit beeps, the backlight on the front beams will start flashing. The binding process is automatic. After the remote control emits a long beep, the indicator switches from flashing to permanently lit, and the “Signal Strength” icon appears on the LCD display of the remote control, the binding process is completed.
It is carried out automatically.
After establishing a connection, the drone system proceeds to initialization. The illumination on the front and rear beams alternately flashes red, green and yellow. Make sure the quadcopter is on a level and stable surface (Important). The initialization procedure takes about 8 seconds. Initialization is completed after the remote controller beeps twice and the front and rear lights of the aircraft flash yellow alternately.
1. Compass calibration is performed only after the successful initialization of the UAV.
2. The compass is calibrated every time the battery is disconnected.
3. The calibration procedure is recommended to be carried out away from places with a strong magnetic field (parking lots, construction sites, metal structures, etc.), and keep keys, mobile phones, etc. away.
Step 1: Horizontal Calibration
After the drone has successfully initialized, the lights on the front and rear beams of the aircraft flash yellow alternately. Keeping the copter in a horizontal position, begin to rotate it around its axis (about 3 turns). The end of the horizontal compass calibration will be indicated by the front and rear lights of the aircraft, which will change from a flashing yellow light to an alternating flashing green light.
Step 2: Vertical calibration
Keeping the copter in a vertical position with the camera up, start rotating it around its axis (about 3 revolutions). The procedure is considered completed after the backlight of the copter switches from flashing to permanently on. You can take off.
Made by a developer.
The gyroscope calibration procedure is carried out only if the aircraft cannot exit the initialization procedure. In this case, after the aircraft and equipment communicate, place the aircraft on a level surface (Important). At the same time, move both control sticks/joysticks to the far left bottom corner, the aircraft light will flash rapidly and then change to a steady glow, indicating the completion of the calibration.
Recommendations and remarks
- Be sure to read the user manual before using the product.
- To charge the battery from a 220V network, the developer recommends using 5V (1-2A) power supplies. Charging the battery from a computer is not recommended.
- Before starting charging after the next flight, it is necessary that the battery cools down. Battery charging should only be carried out in the presence of adults.
- Before flying, make sure that the drone battery is installed correctly, otherwise even a short power outage may affect the flight safety.
- The drone’s Wi-Fi camera works exclusively with the “Bugs Go” mobile app.
- Before landing, it is recommended to bring the camera to a horizontal position.
- For uninterrupted and correct operation of the equipment (remote control) it is not allowed to mix old and new batteries, or alkaline with ordinary or rechargeable batteries.
- To improve the communication quality of the control equipment (an increase in the distance of up to 1000 meters), it is recommended to bring the antenna laid inside the console to the outside and make it external.
- To improve the quality of the transmitted video signal (an increase in the FPV distance of up to 500-600 meters), it is enough to carry out a simple and inexpensive upgrade.
- There are two ways to start and stop the motors:
“Unlock motors” button
(indicated by a red “lock” symbol) – a short press will unlock the drone and start the propulsion unit in idle mode.
– at the same time, move the left stick / joystick control to the bottom right corner, and the right stick to the bottom left corner.
“Unlock motors” button
(indicated by a red symbol in the form of a “lock”) – long press (hold for 3 seconds) stops the motors and locks the aircraft.
– after the drone lands, move the “Gas / Throttle” stick to the lowest position “0” and hold for 3 seconds, the motors will stop, the drone will be blocked.
- Please note that the aircraft does not fly around obstacles during the Return to Home/RTH mode.
- The aircraft will not return to the takeoff location if the GPS signal is weak (less than 7 satellites). If there is no satellite signal between the drone and the remote control at the moment of loss of connection, after 6 seconds the copter will not fly to the take-off site, but will make a soft landing with subsequent blocking of the motors.
- If the RTH mode is executed due to low battery voltage, then you cannot switch to manual mode by pressing the RTH button.
The MJX Bugs 5W quadrocopter is sold by the developer through all known Internet trading platforms at a price of $ 130-230 (the price depends on the seller’s configuration).
MJX Bugs 5W from $130
- Product quality
- Ease of use (for beginners)
- Fine-tuned brushless powerplant with auto-brake motors when locked
- Flight properties/Autonomous flight modes
- FHD FPV camera (image quality, FOV)
- FPV flight at 5GHz (Wi-Fi broadcast quality)
- FPV Removal Distance
- Mob work. applications
- No mechanical camera stabilization
- No on/off button
- You can’t adjust the sound. alarm (begins to squeak loudly already at 50% of the battery charge)
- By default, mob. the application (IOS/Android) does not display a full zoomable map, which affects the accuracy of the waypoint flight mode
- There is no power supply for charging the battery from the 220V network (recommended by the developer)
- No propeller guard included
Today it is one of the most optimal fully working solutions for a novice consumer. The developer definitely tried and at the end we got a high-quality product with the best flight characteristics in its niche, 100% working functionality corresponding to the one stated in the specification, and a quite high price tag. It will be most appreciated by beginners and amateurs who are at the very beginning of the path of the rapidly gaining popularity of the unmanned hobby. Age limit 14+.
Video from the quadrocopter MJX Bugs 5W.
Quadcopter MJX Bugs 5W + GoPro Hero 7 Black.
Overview of the MJX Bugs 5W quadrocopter.
MJX Bugs 5W test for flight range and performance of the flight mode by way of points.