The flight home function is essential for any drone. It is this function that allows the device to freely return to the point where it was launched. Now we’ll figure out how it all works.
3 homecoming functions
1. Smart RTH. You will only need to press the “RTH” button and the drone will return to the place where the device was launched from. The command can be given through the control panel or the application;
2. Low Battery RTH. The function allows you to return the aircraft if the battery is dead. Thus, the drone will not fall from a great height and will not crash;
3. Failsafe RTH. If the drone flies too far or the signal is lost, the device will automatically return to you.
How does a drone return “home” work?
When an unmanned aerial vehicle takes off, it remembers the place from which it took off. Thus, with the help of GPS coordinates and a compass, the quadcopter can return to its owner without getting lost or crashed along the way.
It is worth noting that with GPS interference, problems may arise with the return of the device to the owner. It is best to run the device in an open area so that the GPS signal is always strong and stable. Remember to update your takeoff point regularly when you launch your drone.
But in the city, where there are many high-rise buildings, there may be serious interference with the signal. Power lines can also cause interference. Better get out into the open.
Preparing the quadcopter for flight
If you activate the Failsafe RTH mode in the settings, then you will not be able to control the departure of obstacles by the quadcopter. It is very important to set the appropriate altitude in the application that the drone will reach at the moment when it starts to return to the takeoff site. If the apparatus is high enough, it will help to prevent any collisions, the return of the device will be entirely safe. If the height of the device is higher than you set in the application, then the device will continue to fly at the same height.
When the drone returns to the owner, it will determine the direction and fly around the obstacles that have arisen using special visual sensors. It is important to understand that such sensors can only detect clear obstacles in good light.
Smart return modes
1. Failsafe RTH mode is activated when communication with the quadcopter is lost. The device will fly to the owner along the flight route, trying to restore communication. It is important to note that the drone will not use the flight path if it is in another return home mode. If another mode is activated, then the device will return home along the shortest trajectory;
2. Smart Return to Home (Smart RTH) is activated when the quadcopter arrives at the takeoff point. With this mode, the unmanned aerial vehicle can land without damage. The device finds the best landing surface. If such a surface is not found, then the quadcopter will wait for the owner’s command.
3. Return to Home (RTH)
If you turn on the return home mode, the drone will continue to take pictures. In this way, the device will be able to return to you intact, and you will receive all the footage.
If you don’t want your quadcopter to crash by accident, the return-to-home mode will serve you well. Remember to turn on the mode you want before starting the drone.