Today we will look at a promising drone from the manufacturer JJPRO — X5.
Packaging and equipment
There is no propeller protection included, so you should be extremely careful when flying indoors. It is worth noting that there is also a package with three batteries and a carrying bag on sale (I recommend taking just such a package).
Instructions in competent and understandable English, with illustrations (electronic version can be downloaded here). In addition to detailed briefings, there is a table with an explanation of the sound and light signals of the remote control and the drone. There is also a brief guide to operating the drone, which I strongly recommend that you read before flying.
- Battery: 1800mAh (7.4V)
- Charging time: 4 hours
- Flight time: 16–18 minutes
- Control method: remote control/WiFi
- Flight range: 500–600 meters when controlled by remote control and 200–300 meters when controlled via WiFi (5G) connection
- Body Material: ABS
- Drone dimensions: 35x35x9.5cm (diagonal length — 28.5cm)
- GPS positioning system;
- brushless motors;
- 1080P Full HD camera with 1‑axis gimbal (remote angle adjustment);
- Real-time image transmission 5.8G WiFi (FPV);
- Modes: altitude hold and headless (when orientation is turned off fore/aft);
- Return to Home (RTH) function;
- Takeoff and landing on 1 button;
- LEDs for evening flights;
- Control range up to 600 meters;
- 2.4G remote control with dual antenna system & LCD screen;
- About 16~18 minutes flight time.
The body of the quadcopter and the remote control are made of plastic, the build quality is excellent. The plastic from which the body of the quadric is made is very reliable and durable — even after 3 serious falls (one of which was from a height of more than 100 meters), the quadric remained intact (including the blades). Video of falls — in the video review, starting at 2:14.
There are 4 fake buttons on the remote control, that is, for beauty. It runs on 4 AA batteries (finger-type).
The following information is displayed on the remote control screen
- signal level of communication with the drone;
- GPS mode;
- the number of satellites found;
- remoteness from the launch site of the quadcopter in height/distance;
- automatic return option;
- headless mode;
- shooting video / photo;
- control mode (for right-handers/left-handers);
- remote control/drone battery level.
Before each flight, you must do the following steps (you can see in the video review, starting from 55 seconds):
- Hold down the red button on the remote control and turn it on (this is how we enter it into the drone search mode);
- Insert the battery into the drone, put it on a flat surface and wait about 8 seconds for the drone to establish a connection with the remote control;
- Calibrate the drone’s compass (turn it several times in a horizontal position counterclockwise, — upon completion of the procedure, the diodes with yellow blinking will blink green; turn it clockwise several times in a vertical position (camera up), — upon completion, the diodes with blinking green color will steadily shine red and green);
- “Unlock” (start) the drone — you can do it in two ways: press the red button on the remote control or move the left and right joysticks to the lower right and left corners, respectively. “Lock” (turn off the operation of the propellers) can also be done in two ways: hold down the red button for 3 seconds or lower the left joystick down for 3 seconds.
You can lift the quadric into the air either manually (using the joystick) or press the button on the remote control and it will fly up to a height of 1.5 meters. You can also land a drone in one of these ways.
The control panel is calibrated at the factory, however, if necessary, it can be calibrated again. Also, if necessary, you can calibrate the drone’s gyroscope.
There are 2 control modes: for right-handers and left-handers.
The drone has one flight mode (there is no division into “smooth” / “frisky”). It is responsive, stable and moderately frisky (you can watch the flights in the video review, starting at 1:11). Holds altitude very well, especially if it works with GPS turned on. Can’t do flips. There is also a “headless” mode, in which the drone focuses solely on the signal from the joystick, and not on where its head is looking (in this mode, you need the drone to be launched with the front forward).
When flying with the GPS positioning system turned on, it is recommended to take off when at least 7 satellites are displayed on the remote control (GPS initialization takes up to 2 minutes; it finds 7–13 satellites in open space, at least a few could not be found indoors). In this mode, the drone remembers the starting point and can return to it when the button is pressed (when returning to the starting point, you can use the joysticks to avoid collision with obstacles, you can also cancel the return to the starting point and control the drone again in “free” mode). This function works automatically if the signal with the remote control was lost and was not resumed within 6 seconds (in this case, the drone cannot by itself pass obstacles on the way, however, if the connection with the remote control is restored, it can be controlled), if the GPS signal is weak (less than 7 satellites), the aircraft will not be able to return to the starting point and will slowly land on the ground, after landing, the propellers will lock (turn off). The automatic return to the starting point function also works if the drone’s battery is running out (two bars), it is at an altitude of more than 100 meters and the distance is more than 300 meters; or if the battery level is one bar, the height and distance are more than 15 meters (if the height and distance are less than 15 meters, the drone will automatically land), in this case, it is impossible to resume control of the drone. The automatic return function works accurately, the deviation is up to 1–1.5 meters.
The drone camera records video in FullHD resolution (29fps) and takes photos in 2mp resolution. You can take photos while recording video. The video is written without sound. If necessary, the camera can be detached. In addition, the camera angle can be adjusted (within 90°) using the remote control. Examples of video footage can be viewed in the video review, starting at 2:40.
The quadcopter can be connected to the phone via Wi-Fi (the control remains the remote control). The delay in transmitting images from the camera is minimal (less than 1 second), so the quad can be used for FPV flights (not racing) within a radius of up to 300 meters. Among the interesting things in the application, I note the function of flying behind the pilot, flying around a given route and the possibility of 3D viewing. I liked the fact that the application is well optimized, everything works properly, without any bugs and errors.
The quadcopter is equipped with a battery with a capacity of 1800mAh, which is enough for an average of 16–18 minutes of flight. It takes 4 hours to charge.
During charging, the red diode is on and the green one is flashing, upon completion, both diodes glow steadily.
Summing up, we can say with confidence that at the moment this is one of the best (if not the best) quadcopter in its price range. The closest competitors include JJRC X7, JJRC X8, JJRC X9, MJX Bugs 5W, MJX B2SE, MJX Bugs 3 Pro, Hubsan X4 H502S, SYMA X8 Pro and others. All these quadcopters can be viewed and purchased here
- excellent build quality with durable plastic;
- brushless motors;
- GPS navigation;
- Headless mode, Follow Me function and automatic return to the starting point, flight along the specified path;
- good application optimization;
- flight time 16–18 minutes;
- camera with stabilization;
- the presence of a complete set with 3 batteries and a carrying bag;
- excellent value for money.
Quadcopter can be purchased here:
Gearbest Banggood Official store on ALIEXPRESS