We tell and show how to connect the drone to the phone correctly. Read more about connection types, secure mounting and the best programs for iPhone and Android, read below.
Download App Store / Google Play
To legalize aircraft to a mobile phone, you need to do four things.
- Download the application for the desired drone model (as a rule, it is described in the drone manual).
- Launch the quadric and activate Wi-fi on it.
- Enable Wi-Fi on your mobile/tablet and connect it to the drone’s “network”. To do this, you need to connect to the network, which will be referred to as the plug-in drone model. For example “DJI Mavic” or “Xiaomi FIMI”.
- Go to the application on the phone and use the step-by-step actions indicated in it to control the flying device.
If the manual for the copter does not contain the desired application, you should use one of the 10 universal ones for iPhone and Android:
- FreeFlight Pro — works with BEBOP and SCYCONTROLLER devices;
- DroneDeploy — application for DJI models with advanced flight plan and autopilot settings;
- SYMA FPV — to work with SYMA copters;
- Litchi — the application controls DJI Mavic / Phantom / Inspire / Spark copters;
- UgCS is another application for DJI;
- Pix4D is a universal script that allows you to pre-register flight paths over the terrain;
- DroneDeploy — program for DJI drones;
- Propeller Aero — an application for detailed study of the terrain;
- Raptor Maps is a universal application that will work with many drones;
- Wi-Fi UFO — allows you to control the drone from your mobile. The main thing is not to send it too far, otherwise the Wi-Fi connection will be lost.
Interesting article: What is better, quadrocopter or helicopter: 4 distinctive features
There are three options for connecting the quadcopter to the phone:
- connection with the device via Wi-Fi;
- connection to the remote control via Wi-Fi;
- connection via cable to the remote control.
If it is possible to connect to the remote control, this is the easiest option. It is advisable to use them. The remote control has a more powerful receiver, with a range of up to 3 km (like the DJI Mavic Mini). If you connect Wi-Fi to the drone via a mobile phone, the device can move away by a maximum of 30–50 meters. You understand, the difference is obvious.
For those who are interested in how the Wi-Fi connection works: both devices are combined into a common local network, where the phone transmits drone control data, and the quadcopter receives and instantly responds to them. In turn, on the mobile you can see what the camera of the device is shooting.
Such a control system is suitable for those who are just learning to control quadrocopters (often cheap models do not have a remote control). And for those who want to enhance the filming experience.
Advanced mobile applications for quadcopters will tell you about the weather, wind strength, allowed and prohibited areas for shooting, etc.
The further the drone flies, the greater the delay between the command and the movement of the flying device. For example, flying 50 meters away, a budget model will show an image with a delay of 2–3 seconds. These figures are especially acute in the urban environment.
Related: TOP 3 best drone manufacturers — rating of quadcopter manufacturers
Drone control using a remote control or a smartphone of the user’s choice
Once the copter is connected to your phone, you’re ready to get to the exciting part of flying the drone.
There are three options for working with the device via a mobile phone.
1. Using virtual buttons inside the program interface
The mobile phone acts as a replacement for the joystick.
2. Flight mode settings and camera tweaks
The phone pre-programs the “flight” autopilot, where you can work through frequently used or difficult flights.
3. Everything that the camera “sees” is broadcast on the smartphone’s display.
The user receives on the side of the same image a flight control button. It turns out such a flight simulator in reality mode called First Person View.
In general, the controls are simple. Mobile gamers will be completely at ease. They fly a drone in the same way as an airplane in a flight simulator. If the user does not really play mobile games, he will master the skill of controlling the quadcopter in 10–15 minutes with the help of clear prompts provided in the quadcopter control app.
Four tips for beginners.
- Do not rush to immediately charge into the sky. The first few flights are best done at a height of 2–3 meters.
- The first time it is better to launch the drone away from skyscrapers and trees so that the device does not accidentally crash into them.
- If the application offers to enable vibration feedback, you should use this. Feel the control through the pulsation.
- For shooting in flight on the preview, set the minimum image quality. FullHD video is stored on a microSD flash drive, but the “pixel” preview will reduce image delay.
Read: 16 Unique Ways to Use Quadcopters
Frequently encountered difficulties and their solutions: table
In most cases, connecting the quadcopter to the controller goes without a hitch. However, sometimes there are problems that can and should be addressed without delay.
The main troubles and their solutions are summarized in the table:
Only the best: TOP‑5 quadcopters (drones) DJI
Selfidron — what is it and how to manage it
This is a type of quadrocopters that are focused exclusively on working with a mobile phone. It is not uncommon for such models to lack a remote control. Therefore, the cost of the device is 2–3 times cheaper than the usual quadrocopter.
The purpose of such a gadget is the ability to take a selfie from a height of several meters. When using a selfie stick, only the top of the body often gets into the frame and very few beauties in the background. The selfie drone solves this problem. It allows you to shoot even the largest company in full growth and so that everyone fits into the frame. Moreover, you can easily capture the surrounding beauty with it. The device rises a few meters up and flies 40–50 meters into the distance.
To better understand the features of the device, see its pros and cons in the table:
It should be noted that selfidrons in most cases are controlled only from mobile phones. So those who are used to a physical joystick will find it difficult to rebuild.
Summing up the above, everyone can control a quadrocopter from a smartphone! The main thing is to give yourself some time to get used to the new style of control.
Likbez: How to choose a quadrocopter for a child: 6 main criteria