Yuneec International and Leica Camera AG have announced a strategic technology partnership. The first result of this collaboration was presented on September 27, 2019 in the form of a pro-level hexacopter – Typhoon H3. The hallmark of the drone is the ION L1 Pro camera developed by Leica engineers, built on a 1-inch CMOS matrix. Yuneec Typhoon H3 is positioned by the developer as a professional tool designed for aerial photography of any complexity.
Leica Camera AG is a German company specializing in the development of optical systems and precision mechanics devices. She gained the greatest popularity thanks to her cameras, lenses, microscopes, binoculars and optical sights. Founded in 1849. He has been developing cameras since 1913. The start of serial production of cameras dates back to 1925. For more than 100 years, we have stood for the quality, precision, exceptional resolution, and iconic design that delight not only the pioneers of photography, but countless photographers who never cease to cherish Leica technology.
- Proven 6-motor configuration
- Sturdy, foldable carbon construction
- PX4 flight controller
- Control equipment ST16S
- Foldable landing legs
- 20MP 4K Leica ION L1 Pro camera built on a 1-inch CMOS sensor
- 3-axis 360 degree mechanical gimbal
- Max. 4K video quality at 60 fps with bitrate up to 100Mbps
- digital zoom
- Leica optimized and calibrated image modes (AWB, color rendering, sharpening, noise reduction, etc.)
- Leica DNG format calibration with corresponding ADOBE profile
- 10-bit YLog video mode based on Leica specifications
- Semi-automatic ISO/Shutter and 1/3 EV/ISO/Shutter step setting
- Wide dynamic range (WDR)
- AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) Mode
- Short JPEG intervals for Hyperlapse video
- Custom Picture mode and sharpness settings
- Professional histogram
- panoramic shooting
- Team mode (Crew mode – control / shooting)
- Obstacle detection
- Auto takeoff/landing
- 5 × intelligent auto flight and shooting modes
- 5-motor mode of operation (activated when one of the motors fails)
- Redundant control signal and customizable Geo Fence
- Auto takeoff and landing function
- Max. horizontal flight speed 70 km/h
- Max. flight time 25 min
- Max. FPV removal distance 2km
The developer offers the drone in a single package, which will include:
- Hexacopter Typhoon H3
- Leica ION L1 Pro Camera
- Control equipment ST16S
- Additional patch antenna
- 2 × battery
- Power cable for charger
- Neck strap for ST16S
- SD card
- USB cable
1985 (including camera)
4S 5250mAh LiPo
Max. ceiling above sea level:
Max. flight altitude:
Max. takeoff speed:
Max. sink rate:
Max. flight speed:
Max. flight time:
Slave. temperature range:
0°С to +40°С
-10°С to +50°С
Definition of obstacles
2 × ultrasonic
＞1.5m, obstacle distance ＜5m
Number of channels:
Signal transmission range (under optimal conditions):
1.6 km (Europe)
2 km (FCC)
Control frequency range:
Video communication frequency range:
Video link resolution:
LCD display size:
7 inches (17.78 cm)
Flight OSD data on the display:
3.6V 8700mAh 31.32Wh Li-Ion
Slave. temperature range:
0°С to +40°С
1 inch CMOS
F2.8, 23mm equivalent FOV: 91°
4 – 1/8000s
3:2 (5472 × 3648)
4:3 (4864 × 3648)
H.264 video resolution:
HEVC Video Resolution:
4096 × 2160P/3840 × 2160P (24/30 fps)
2720 × 1530 (24/30/48/60 fps)
Single, Burst, Interval, AEB, Panorama
Normal, Vivid, WDR, 10 Bit Log, B&W
-10°C – 40°C
New standards in aerial photography
Yuneec and Leica Camera AG have brought together the best of their world to take Leica photography to the sky. The H3 has been specially designed for photographers and videographers who want to rediscover the world from above. Thanks to high-quality materials and the implementation of a wide range of functions, in combination with a 1-inch CMOS sensor, the user gets a complete, perfectly coordinated system, tailored to any photographic ambition.
Superior image quality
Both key components of the H3 and L1 Pro are precisely matched to each other and allow for highly detailed, brilliant aerial shots with the legendary Leica look. Through careful analysis and suitable effective stray light suppression, the camera delivers the best possible image results, especially in critical low-light conditions. The technical versatility of the camera offers the user a wide range of options – from automatic and semi-automatic exposure bracketing, to a wide dynamic range. Added Y-Log for professional and easy integration of video materials into projects with other source images.
In addition, Y-log video contains significantly better dynamics than standard video. Leica has created high quality ADOBE DNG profiles based on a holistic image optimization approach supported with version 11.3 of the Camera Raw software. Profiles include vignetting correction, distortion correction, and chromatic aberration correction. Also, color reproduction has been “measured” and is now very accurate with DNG. The DNG profile is automatically selected – all you need to do is install the latest Camera RAW software.
Powerful hexacopter system
Thanks to the reliable PX4-based flight controller, the Typhoon H3 is not only particularly powerful, but also exponentially efficient. The system has been optimized to consume less power without sacrificing performance. The result is a powerful, reliable, quiet and extremely accurate hexacopter system with an extra margin of safety.
- The quick-change mechanism allows you to quickly and easily install the rotors, after which the drone is immediately ready for operation.
- The Typhoon H3 reference arms can also be folded down for easy transport.
- The entire system and its accessories can be transported in a carry-on-sized backpack or in a protective case (both options are available).
- Two HV batteries are included as standard, each providing 25 minutes of flight time on a single charge.
Control equipment ST16S
The intuitive and easy-to-use Android-based remote gives you complete control over your aircraft and camera. Equipped with a 7-inch touch screen that displays real-time camera feed in 720P (HD), telemetry data and camera settings. If desired, streaming video from the camera can be transferred to an external monitor via the HDMI port located on the remote control. The image transmission distance is up to 1.6 km (for Europe) and 2 km (for FCC).
Team mode is available to control the aircraft and camera separately, allowing you to fully focus on capturing images as a photographer or videographer. You will need a second ST16S remote control (sold separately) to implement command mode.
With imaging modes optimized and calibrated by Leica, the ION L1 Pro leaves nothing to be desired in terms of vibration, contrast or resolution.
Automatic flight modes
Five auto flight and shooting modes are available to the user:
The entire system is designed as a closed device. By design, all communications are made directly between the aircraft/camera and the ST16S remote controller. There is no workaround through the cloud. All data generated by Typhoon H3 (photos, videos and flight data) belongs exclusively to the user at any time and can be saved, deleted or processed by the user without any restrictions.
Typhoon H3 is equipped with some security features such as:
- Backup control signal
- Return home mode.
- Numerous Failsafe features and a customizable Geo-fence that guarantees flight within a user-specified radius.
- If one of the six motors fails, the Typhoon H3 will automatically switch to 5-motor operation, allowing you to safely steer and land with just five motors running.
- Built-in ultrasonic sensors allow the drone to detect obstacles and stop in front of them.
- The battery system has been improved, adding an additional safety mechanism that indicates if the battery is installed correctly.
The Yuneec Typhoon H3 hexacopter is available for pre-order purchase through the developer’s branded online stores. In USA, an official dealer offers a drone for $3,292.
Yuneec Typhoon H3 $3292
- 6-motor configuration/Foldable design
- Flight qualities
- 360 degree suspension
- Cinematic potential with the new Leica ION L1 Pro
- Automatic flight and shooting modes
- Intel RealSense/IPS (Optical Flow Sensor) flies around obstacles of any size even at night
- Emergency landing mode for 5 motors
- Portable Wizard remote/SkyView FPV goggles
- Luggage dimensions
- The current battery charge of the drone can only be found on the display of the personal station
A top-of-the-line PRO-level solution built on a time-tested and one-of-a-kind hexacopter platform. Thanks to a key partnership between two industry gurus, the drone is finally a fully-fledged product for realizing professional aerial photo/video shooting. The system is completely configured and ready for operation. Recommended by photo / video industry professionals as an additional tool for expanding the creative potential in shooting. Age limit 18+.
Photos taken by Yuneec Typhoon H3 from the developer.
Shooting quality Yuneec Typhoon H3.
Great review of Yuneec Typhoon H3.
Hyperlapse video made by Yuneec Typhoon H3 from the developer.