Renowned mid-range UAV developer FIMI Technology Ltd has announced its first lightweight solution to compete with hobby UAVs such as the DJI Mini/Mini 2, which until now have been the only drones capable of delivering the potential of full-size drones weighing up to 250 grams. FIMI X8 MINI is a portable lightweight quadcopter, positioned by the developer as an entry-level product, designed primarily for a novice consumer audience for which, when choosing, the main criterion is the quality of shooting, flight time / range, weight freeing the user from the drone registration procedure and, of course, an adequate price . As usual, let’s start with the key features of the novelty. Let’s fly!
- Flight weight (with standard battery/Pro battery) 258/245 grams
- Portable and foldable design
- Positioning GPS + GLONASS + Beidou + visual positioning system consisting of two optical and one laser sensors
- Brushless propulsion unit working in tandem with folding propellers
- Level 5 wind resistance
- Control methods: Separately by smartphone (via Wi-Fi 5.8GHz) / Smartphone + remote control
- Specially designed for the Mini version of the drone, control equipment with a sliding structure, removable sticks and a modified receiver
- 12MP 4K camera built on a 1/2.6‑inch CMOS sensor, working in tandem with a top-end Hisilicon ISP chipset
- Pixel size 1.55 µm
- 3‑axis mechanical gimbal with 0.005° accuracy
- 3x digital zoom
- F‑Log and DNG RAW modes
- Max. bitrate 100 Mbps
- HDR video
- Night shot mode
- H.264/H.265 video compression format
- Video streaming via 2nd generation TDMA HD digital system at 5.8 GHz
- Max. removal distance 8 km
- 720p video quality
- Max. flight altitude 500 m (electronically limited)
- Max. flight speed 57.6 km/h
- Max. flight time (standard battery/Pro battery) 30/31 min
- 4 × pre-programmed Cine shots
- 3 × Intelligent Object Tracking Modes
- Waypoint flight mode with task scheduling
- 3 × panorama shot options
- 3 × Motion-lapse options that do not require post-processing
- The ability to broadcast video stream from the drone’s camera through all known social platforms
- SAR mode
- New mobile app Fimi Navi Mini (iOS/Android)
FIMI X8 Mini is offered by the developer in a single configuration, which will include:
- Remote Control
- Accumulator battery
- 3 × OTG cables (Lightning/Micro USB/Type‑C)
- 4 × spare blades (2CW/2CCW)
- Camera transport protection
- USB‑A ⇔ USB‑C cable
- 4 × spare screws (for attaching the blades)
- User’s Manual
X8 MINI (FMWRJ04A7)
Weight (with standard battery/Pro battery):
Max. takeoff speed:
Max. sink rate:
Max. horizontal flight speed:
Max. flight altitude:
Max. ceiling above sea level:
Max. flight time (with standard battery/Pro battery):
30/31 min (no wind at a stable speed of 28 km/h)
8–10 m/s (level 5)
Working range of sensors:
up to 30 m
Position holding accuracy:
± 0.1m (supported by ultrasonic sensors)
± 0.5m (when satellite positioning is active)
Horizontally: ± 1.5m
Operating frequency range:
5.725 — 5.825GHz
Working temperature range:
0 — 40°С
about 260 g
Operating frequency range:
5.725 — 5.825 GHz
Max. FPV Removal Distance:
3.7V 3500mAh Li-ion
1/2.6″ CMOS Sony IMX378
Hisilicon ISP (latest generation)
Equivalent focal length:
video: 100 — 3200
a photo: 100 — 1600
32 — 1/8000s
4K: 3840 × 2160 @ 24/25/30 fps
2K: 2716 × 1524 @ 24/25/30/50/60 fps
FHD: 1920×1080@24/25/30/50/60/90 fps
HD: 1280 × 720 at 100/120 fps
Video Compression Format:
Micro SD (U3 or higher) with a capacity of 8 — 256GB (recommended Sandisk, Kingston U3)
Controlled swivel range:
0° to ‑90°
Angle Control Accuracy:
2S 7.2V 2400mAh 17.28Wh Li-ion
2S 7.7V 2200mAh 16.94Wh LiPo
Voltage Limit (Standard Battery/Pro Battery):
Weight (standard battery/Pro battery):
Charging temperature range:
5 — 40°С
Rated output power:
Fimi Navi Mini
Supported operating systems:
Lightweight solution up to 250 grams
In the class of GPS drones weighing up to 250 grams, the first worthy competitor has appeared, the potential of which is able to meet such models discussed in the hobby as the DJI Mini / Mini 2. The FIMI X8 Mini is palm-sized, built on an ultra-light folding frame. The minimum weight in flight condition is 245 grams, which frees the user from the UAV registration procedure, thereby allowing them to start flying and shooting immediately after purchase.
Two battery options
The FIMI X8 Mini drone comes with one of two available batteries to choose from:
- Standard Battery 2S 7.2V 2400mAh 17.28Wh Li-ion; Battery weight: 102 grams; Max. flight time: 30 min.
- PRO Battery — 2S 7.7V 2200mAh 16.94Wh LiPo; Battery weight: 86 grams; Max. flight time: 31 min.
We note right away that no matter which battery you choose, in practice the maximum flight time with a mixed style of piloting will vary on average within 23–25 minutes. Accordingly, the key difference when using one of the two batteries in this case is only the final flight weight, where the drone with a standard battery will weigh — 258 grams, the weight of a tandem with a PRO battery will be — 245 grams.
Type‑C Fast Charging
Good news for those who love speed, because the X8 Mini batteries received a Type‑C charging port and fast charging mode. To charge the battery, the package includes a USB‑A ⇔ USB‑C cable that can be used in tandem with any charger (with a rated output power of 8V / 3A) that supports charging mode QuickCharge.
4K HDR video
FIMI X8 Mini inherits the camera system of the FIMI X8 2020 full-size drone, which has proven itself in practice. The video system supports shooting video in modes up to 4K at 30 frames per second in high dynamic range (HDR), which ensures the output is clearer and richer frames. Also in the arsenal is support for the H.265 / HEVC codec and F‑Log and DNG formats. It follows that the overall photo / video potential of the X8 Mini will allow you to easily achieve high results both through preset settings and in the post-processing process, which makes this drone interesting for a wide range of consumers with different levels of experience from beginners to advanced.
3‑axis mechanical gimbal
The FIMI X8 Mini camera works in tandem with a specially designed lightweight 3‑axis gimbal, whose control algorithms have achieved an exponential angular control accuracy of 0.005 °, which determines the best mechanical image stabilization in the class.
Developed and tested on the FIMI X8 2020 drone, the second-generation TDMA HD digital system ensures stable transmission and optimized signal sensitivity. In an interference-free zone, the maximum flight range of the FIMI X8 Mini is an exponential 8 kilometers.
It is worth noting that the declared maximum flight range is usually achievable only in a zone free from interference, which is often difficult to ensure in our modern world. Therefore, in practice, the range of removal on average will be from 3–5 km.
At the disposal of the user are 5 modes of various purposes, allowing you to easily receive cinematic content from the air.
The mode offers the user 5 options for performing automatic aerial photography with a cinematic composition in one tap:
- Rocket – the drone flies vertically upwards and shoots under itself.
- Dronie — the drone takes off from the bottom up at an angle, focusing on the subject for shooting.
- Circle – the drone performs a circular flight around the object for shooting.
- Spiral – the drone performs a circular flight around a given object for shooting, moving away along a spiral trajectory.
- Tap-Fly- In this mode, all you need to do is tap on the screen of the paired smartphone, then the drone will automatically fly to it, allowing the user to focus only on controlling the camera.
The user has 3 options for tracking an object for shooting:
- Trace – tracks an object from different angles
- lock – tracks an object from a given angle
- Profile — follows an object parallel to its movement
The “Flight planning shooting” mode with the ability to plan tasks allows the user to plan not only the flight, but also set points of interest (POI) on which the drone’s camera will focus when performing automatic flight.
There are 3 options for panorama shooting in automatic mode:
- Pano-180° (180° panorama)
- Pano Horizontal (Horizontal panorama)
- Pano vertical (Vertical panorama)
The mode allows you to realize professional time-lapse shooting in one tap without the need for post-processing. Three versions are available:
Like the full size X8 2020 model, the FIMI X8 Mini drone is equipped with Hisilicon chipset and powerful AI algorithm to provide the best noise reduction, retaining vivid details in every shot, so you can safely take the drone with you to capture the beauty of the night.
X8 Mini control can be implemented in two ways. The first way is classic — through specially designed control equipment in tandem with a smartphone, which received removable sticks and a sliding design for greater portability during transportation, which has already become a hallmark for FIMI remotes. To pair devices, you will need to install the new Fimi Navi Mini (iOS/Android) mobile app. This method will be relevant for long-distance flights, since only thanks to the remote control the drone is able to provide the declared flight range of up to 8 km.
The second way is another small but very significant plus that adds up to the overall portability of the device — control via one smartphone with the new Fimi Navi Mini (iOS / Android) mobile application preinstalled on it. This method will be more relevant than ever when the X8 Mini is used as a selfie drone. For successful pairing, it is important that the Wi-Fi module of your smartphone supports operation in the 5GHz frequency band. With this connection method, the maximum flight range will not exceed 100 meters, which in general will be enough for a flying selfie camera.
A new mobile application Fimi Navi Mini has been developed for the X8 Mini. With a completely redesigned user interface, it’s more intuitive. To pair with a drone without equipment, it will be enough to connect to the drone’s Wi-Fi point and launch the application. To pair with the remote control, simply install your smartphone into the equipment and connect the devices to each other with the included OTG cable. Then start the drone, remote control, mobile application and wait for the screen of the paired smartphone to display the real-time image from the drone’s camera.
GPS and GLONASS satellite positioning systems allow the drone to hover accurately and quickly position. In tandem with or without a satellite system, a sensor positioning system also works, which includes a camera and ultrasonic sensors that ensure the drone hovering at a height of up to 30 meters. Additionally, to ensure an accurate landing, the drone system uses the lower camera, through which the take-off location will be recorded.
SAR (Search and Rescue) — Provides access to 3x digital zoom and real-time GPS position of the aircraft’s current position. Coupled with a 30-minute flight duration and a flight range of up to 8 kilometers, if necessary, the drone can be used in search and rescue activities, which in general will never be superfluous.
To ensure the safe operation of the drone as much as possible, the developer has added all the fundamental functions:
- Auto return home when connection is lost (RTH/Return to Home)
- Low battery monitoring and warning
- Automatic reset when the battery is low
- Satellite tracking drone location
- No-Fly Zone Control
- Tracking and warning of excessive wind force
The developer sells the drone at a price of $319 (excluding taxes and shipping). On various Internet trading platforms, FIMI X8 Mini is offered at a price of $ 330–420
Xiaomi Fimi X8 Mini from $319
- Flight weight 249 g
- Foldable design
- Powerful B/C motors
- wind resistant
- 4K camera (HDR video; Night Shot; F‑Log; DNG RAW; Video compression format H.264/H.265)
- Max. removal distance 8 km
- Automatic flight and shooting modes
- SAR mode
- The ability to broadcast video stream from the drone’s camera through all known social platforms
- The defect prevails, which affects the overall performance and functionality of the drone (requires a performance check on the spot)
- Insufficient battery potential (limits flight range)
Friends, after almost a year, we, as promised, returned to the conclusion of our FiMi X8 Mini review to shed light on the actual performance of the model, since at the time of release, if anyone is not in the know, the drone showed for the most part a complete discrepancy between the declared functionality of the due to the banal “dampness” of the product at the software level.
In the list of the main bugs identified by almost all the first users were:
- Overheating during firmware update
- Vibration system alerts prompting the user to stop flying and inspect the aircraft body for malfunctions
- Filling the horizon with a camera suspension
- Jellyness in video footage
- Incorrect color reproduction
- Autofocus not working properly
- Incorrect operation of automatic flight and shooting modes (Smart Track/QuickShot)
For maximum objectivity, in addition to our own experience of ownership, we had to look at the lion’s share of available reviews from around the world, dating back to the present. Thus, at the current moment (03/04/22), we can conclude that, to a greater extent, the developer eliminated all of the above bugs by updating the firmware, however, negative reviews, in which all the same shortcomings are noted, take place, which can only indicate lack of proper quality control during production.
In this connection, we strongly recommend that you purchase this quadcopter exclusively within the place of residence and only from those sellers who guarantee the provision of after-sales obligations, coupled with warranty conditions, so that in the event of a marriage, you can easily exchange the goods or return money, or repair it free of charge . By the way, among other things, it turned out that there are very few spare parts on the global market. parts. Given the general fragility of the components of the model, this should be considered before buying!
Now about the benefits of a serviceable FiMi X8 Mini. In practice, the copter showed a good flight range (it confidently covers a distance of 3–4 km), which in fact turned out to be limited by the potential of the battery. Further, we can note the exemplary work of the onboard video system, which, together with the available auto / manual camera settings, provides the quality of photo / video shooting corresponding to the declared specification.
The automatic flight and shooting modes work more or less normally, however, it is worth noting that the “Follow Me” mode is still not able to track fast moving objects, which is generally the norm for a drone in the $300+ price niche. And finally, the final advantage of this model is its autonomy. With a mixed style of piloting, the flight time will be about 25–28 minutes.
I would like to summarize all of the above as follows. FiMi X8 Mini is currently the best solution for its money and is perfect for the role of the first GPS drone. However, if your budget allows you to turn your attention to more technological models, then we strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with all the contenders of our rapidly developing hobby. That’s all for us, we hope that our review allowed the reader to minimize the time it takes to search for the necessary information in order to make the right choice later. Fly safely. Peace and goodness to all!
Best reviews from the developer and users
Shooting quality. RAW video.
Experience using FiMi X8 Mini. Review after 3 months of use.
Flight test at ‑15°C.
One of the many negative reviews about FiMi X8 Mini.
Unboxing and comprehensive flight review.
Comparative flight test for the maximum range of Fimi X8 Mini vs DJI Mini SE.
Load capacity test.
Unboxing, Inspection, Activation, Software Update, X8 Mini vs DJI Mini 2 Drone Comparison (Part 1).
Flight test for range in windy weather. The drone was able to confidently cover a distance of 3.9 km, and then return in auto mode to the take-off point with a residual battery charge of 14%, which is very indicative for products from this UAV niche.
A quick test of all basic functions (flight / image quality / comparison test of image quality with DJI Mini 2 / auto modes) on a standard battery.
Unpacking, flight preparation and first flight.
An overview of the most popular drone flight features.
Unboxing FIMI X8 Mini.